What You Need to Know About Quality Score
AdWords is an advertising service that is provided by Google to all types of businesses that want to display their adverts online by using its advertising network. It works by letting businesses set advertising budgets and only having to pay when their ads are clicked on. AdWords is mainly focused on the use of keywords, so it is important for users to ensure that they check and keep their quality score as high as possible when using it.
What is Quality Score?
The quality score for each keyword is ranked on a scale from 1-10 (where 1 is the lowest quality and 10 is excellent quality) and it serves as an estimate of the quality of an advert and the landing pages that are triggered by the specific keywords used in the ads. The higher the quality score is, the more relevant Google thinks an advert and its associated landing page are to anyone who is viewing and clicking on the advert. It is possible to find out what the quality score is for any keywords that have been used when you have generated an AdWords campaign.
When logging into your Google account, you will be able to check your quality score in one of two ways: by performing a keyword diagnosis or enabling the Qual. score column in your account.
Performing a keyword diagnosis:
- Click on the ‘Campaigns’ tab on the top of the page.
- Select the ‘Keywords’ tab.
- Click on the speech bubble icon that you will be able to see next to any keyword’s status, and this will let you see details about its overall Quality Score.
Performing this check will allow you to see ratings for advert relevance, expected clickthrough rates and landing page experience as well.
Enabling the Qual. Score column
- Once again, click on the ‘Campaigns’ tab on top of the page.
- Click on the ‘Keywords’ tab.
- Search for the ‘Qual. Score’ column – you will find it in the statistics table. If you cannot find it there, you can add it by performing these easy steps:
- Click on the ‘Columns’ drop down menu that is situated in the toolbar right above the statistics table.
- Select the ‘Modify Columns’ option.
- Then select the ‘Attributes’ option.
- Click on ‘Add’ – you will find this option next to ‘Qual. Score.’
Need to Improve Quality Score?
A few methods you can use to improve low scores include adding relevant and engaging content to landing pages, ensuring that mobile users can navigate your web pages and that your landing pages load as quickly as possible – pages that are slow to load are one of the main factors that cause site visitors to go elsewhere. It is also essential to clearly explain your offer before asking visitors to complete forms or share personal information.
Having the highest possible quality score could result in you paying slightly lower prices when compiling your AdWords campaigns.
Learn more about your quality scores with the Evolve Digital Labs AdWords Performance Grader.